- April: IHC files amended claim in Human Rights Review Tribunal.
- November: Cabinet paper: Education Work Programme (0 to 18 years) Next Three Years [CAB Min (14) 1/14].
- February: Term one – In-class support, initially for 1,500; now 4,000, four hours per week.
- 23, 24 February & 30 March: Crown attempts to strike out aspects of IHC’s claim. Preliminary hearing on three issues.
- 1 July: Education Council of Aotearoa New Zealand established to replace the New Zealand Teachers Council.
- August: Select Committee Inquiry into the identification and support for students with the significant challenges of dyslexia, dyspraxia and autism spectrum disorders in primary and secondary schools.
- 16 November: Education Report: Special Education Update 2015.
- April: Cabinet agrees to a substantive review of funding systems for early childhood and schooling [CAB-16 MIN-0173].
- June: Cabinet paper: Strengthening Inclusion and Modernising Learning Support.
- July: Cabinet agrees to undertake detailed design of a new learning support service delivery model [CAB-16-MIN-0310].
- 23, 24 June, 25 July & 29 & November: IHC and Ministry of Education settlement negotiations.
- September: Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities – General comment No. 4 (2016) Article 24: Right to inclusive education published.
- September: A Blueprint for Education System Stewardship (funding, information and people).
- November: Report of the Education and Science Committee Inquiry.
- November: Review of Education Funding Systems: Update and next steps per child amount plus additional funding for individual challenges (social disadvantage and/or learning support).
- April: Education Council: Consultation on the Code of Professional Responsibility and Standards for the teaching profession.
- May: Education Amendment Act.
- June: Cabinet agrees, in principle, to replace decile funding system for services and schools with a predictive risk index [CAB-17-MIN-0311.01].
- February: Cabinet paper: Education Portfolio Work Programme, Objectives and Overview.
- May: Education summits held.
- May: Cabinet paper: Education Funding Review: Proposed New Direction – Equity Index.
- September: Education Council changed to Teaching Council.
- November: Draft Learning Support Action Plan released for consultation.
- December: Report: Our Schooling Futures: Stronger Together Whiria Ngā Kura Tūātinitini, by the Tomorrow’s Schools Independent Taskforce.
- May: Funding of $217 million (over four years) allocated in Budget 2019 for first tranche of Learning Support Coordinators to start from January 2020.
- July: Launch of Learning Support Action Plan 2019-2025.
- September: Release of final report: Tomorrow’s Schools Independent Taskforce.
- November: Government response to taskforce recommendations.
- February: First 600 Learning Support Coordinators commence.
- March: Symposium: Education Data Protection and Use Policy.
- July: Learning support register introduced.
- August: Education and Training Act 2020 enacted.